Queen’s Counsel (QC)
“He’s wonderfully client-friendly as he’s terribly calm and measured. In fraught situations he creates an atmosphere of calm and confidence, and he must be one of the most charming and polite men on the earth – in negotiations he’s never aggressive, just very clear, firm and incredibly clever.”
Edward contributed to "Local Authority Liability" (Morrell & Foster, 4th edition). In 2006 he also was a special adviser to the Department of Constitutional Affairs on the Compensation Culture.
- C. and N. v Poole Borough Council (judgment is awaited from the Supreme Court) - L.F. acted for the Council together with Paul Stagg and Katie Ayres .
- Barclays Bank v Various Claimants - Following the Court of Appeal decision, the Supreme Court has now given permission to appeal. The case will be heard on November 28th 2019. L.F.acted for the Bank.
- Michael Parker (Barrymore ) v. Essex Police - L.F. acted for the police in their successful appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- XX v Whittington Hospitals NHS Trust - L.F. acted for the hospital in a novel case in the Court of Appeal concerning damages for the cost of commercial surrogacy. The hospital is seeking permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.
Personal Injury - Leading Silks -Tier 2 - ‘Firm but always very charming. He is always approachable and good-humoured. There are no airs and graces.’
Clinical Negligence - Leading Silks - Tier 3 - ‘Has a manner of confidence and calm which, in combination with a wealth of experience, is instantly reassuring and puts clients at their ease.’
Professional Negligence - Leading Silks - Tier 4 - ‘He has a wealth of experience.’
Chambers & Partners 2021
Personal Injury (Silks) - Band 1 - Returned to chambers in September 2016 following acting as Minister of State for Justice. He is a noted expert in personal injury matters, while his broad practice also includes human rights, clinical negligence and police work. "An extremely able advocate."
"A fantastic advocate with an encyclopedic knowledge."He is very calm, measured and easy to work with. He is a go-to silk for appellate work."
Clinical Negligence (Silks) - Band 1 - An esteemed silk who has been handling the most complex clinical negligence cases for many years. His wider practice covers professional negligence, police and public law cases. "Very easy to work with, collaborative and a real team player. He's very calm and reassuring to have on your side, and is a brilliant advocate."
Recent work: Instructed in Lucy Diamond v Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust, a case involving complex issues of consent.
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Wellington College
- Jesus College, Oxford (1972 MA)