Queen’s Counsel (QC)
“He’s wonderfully client-friendly as he’s terribly calm and measured. In fraught situations he creates an atmosphere of calm and confidence, and he must be one of the most charming and polite men on the earth – in negotiations he’s never aggressive, just very clear, firm and incredibly clever.”
Edward contributed to "Local Authority Liability" (Morrell & Foster, 4th edition). In 2006 he also was a special adviser to the Department of Constitutional Affairs on the Compensation Culture.
- Wellington College
- Jesus College, Oxford (1972 MA)
- C. and N. v Poole Borough Council (judgment is awaited from the Supreme Court) - L.F. acted for the Council together with Paul Stagg and Katie Ayres .
- Barclays Bank v Various Claimants - Following the Court of Appeal decision, the Supreme Court has now given permission to appeal. The case will be heard on November 28th 2019. L.F.acted for the Bank.
- Michael Parker (Barrymore ) v. Essex Police - L.F. acted for the police in their successful appeal to the Court of Appeal.
- XX v Whittington Hospitals NHS Trust - L.F. acted for the hospital in a novel case in the Court of Appeal concerning damages for the cost of commercial surrogacy. The hospital is seeking permission to appeal to the Supreme Court.
Personal Injury - Leading Silks - Tier 3 - 'Judges like his calm, measured approach.'
Clinical Negligence - Leading Silks - Tier 4 - ‘ He is excellent in negotiations and alive to innovative legal arguments. ’
Professional Negligence - Leading Silks - Tier 4 - ‘ He has a wealth of experience.
Chambers & Partners 2020
Personal Injury (Silks) - Band 1 - Returned to chambers in September 2016 following acting as Minister of State for Justice. He is a noted expert in personal injury matters, while his broad practice also includes human rights, clinical negligence and police work. "An extremely able advocate."
Recent work: Instructed in CN v Poole BC, a test case in the Supreme Court on the issue of whether social workers owe duties of care to children in investigating allegations of abuse and neglect and in seeking care orders.
Clinical Negligence (Silks) - Band 1 - An esteemed silk who has been handling the most complex clinical negligence cases for many years. His wider practice covers professional negligence, police and public law cases. "He is always supremely calm, reassuring and a pleasure to deal with."
Recent work: Instructed in XX v Whittington NHS Trust, an appeal against a decision refusing Californian surrogacy expenses and the cost of surrogacy using donor eggs.
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association