Queen’s Counsel (QC)
“Probably #1 in terms of developing the law in duty of care.”
Andrew was made a Bencher of the Inner Temple in 2017 and a Recorder in 2019.
- Stoffel v Grondona : Successfully represented the Respondent in the Supreme Court in this solicitor’s negligence claim concerning the applicability of the illegality defence in conveyancing transactions.
- Wells v Devani  UKSC 4: Successfully represented the Appellant in the SupremeCourt in this case concerning contractual certainty, interpretation of contracts and implied terms.
- James-Bowen v Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis  UKSC 40: Successfully represented the Commissioner in the Supreme Court in this case concerning whether employers owe a duty of care to their employees in the way in which they conduct litigation.
- Sumner v Colborne  EWCA Civ 1006: Successfully represented the highway authority in this case which considered whether owners of property abutting the highway owe a duty of care to road users to maintain vegetation so as to preserve highway sight lines.
- Piepenbrock v London School of Economics  EWHC 2572: Successfully defended the LSE in a £multi-million claim for occupational stress and harassment brought by a former lecturer.
- Aston Hall litigation: Acted for the Secretary of State for Health in devising a settlement scheme in respect of multiple claims brought by former patients of a paediatric psychiatric unit.
- Manchester Arena Inquiry Currently acting for the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (which runs the Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service) in the public inquiry arising out of the terrorist attack in May 2017
Personal Injury - Leading Silks - Tier 3 - ‘A silk of choice for local authority and abuse-type claims.’
Professional Negligence - Leading Silks - Tier 3 - ‘He delivers clear and practical advice.’
Police law - Leading Silks - Tier 3 - ‘A determined yet calm silk.’
Chambers & Partners 2021
Personal Injury (Silks) – Band 2
Prominent defence counsel for serious historic sexual abuse cases, often involving multiple claimants and famous defendants. He is also a regular feature in the most complex and precedent-setting public liability cases. His broad personal injury expertise also encompasses psychiatric, brain and spinal injury claims. A go-to choice for many major insurers and clients from the public sector. "He's very good – a very straightforward and clear thinker."
Recent work: Successfully defended the London School of Economics in Piepenbrock v LSE, a £4 million occupational stress claim brought by a former academic. The claimant alleged that his teaching assistant had harassed him and that the LSE had mishandled an investigation into the matter.
Police Law (Silks) – Band 2
Has represented the police in their most serious legal challenges, including those before the Supreme Court. He has acted in relation to claims brought by officers as well as the general public, typically involving fatality and other grave matters. "He is very good on the strategy and tactics, and is great with clients."
Recent work: Defended Essex Police in a claim brought by Manuel Fernandez, an online entrepreneur. Mr Fernandez sued the force for loss of earnings allegedly arising from depression he suffered when his sister was murdered, claiming that police negligence contributed to her death.
Local Government (Silks) – Band 4
A highly respected personal injury specialist who regularly handles complex local authority matters. He has deep knowledge of duty of care cases and is routinely instructed in high-value claims concerning social care and education by a wide range of local authority and public bodies. He is particularly well known for his advisory work concerning compensation claims. "He's very quick to respond and forensic in his analysis."
Recent work: Instructed in Sumner v Colborne, a Court of Appeal case concerning whether highway authorities and landowners owe a duty of care to maintain vegetation on their land so as to prevent it interfering with sightlines on the highway.
Best Lawyers UK 2022
Andrew is recognised in Best Lawyers UK 2022 for his work in Police Law.
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- Administrative Law Bar Association