Year Of Call: 1994
Matthew's specialist areas of practice comprise travel and holiday matters (all claims and recovery proceedings with a cross border element) and personal injury (with particular emphasis on employers' liability matters).
Matthew was appointed Queen's Counsel in 2017.
He has for several years been recommended for his consumer and travel law expertise as well as his personal injury practice in the leading directories. The Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide 2017 and The Legal 500 2017 directories quote clients as describing Matthew in the following ways:
“He has an amazing knowledge of conflicting jurisdictional issues.”
“One of the main players in the arena.”
“He’s hugely knowledgeable, a superb advocate, very good with clients and very responsive.”
“An absolute superstar in travel law.”
"One of the main players."
“He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of travel law cases and has been involved in some of the most important cases in a very fast-changing landscape.”
“Nothing stumps him; there’s no case you could put before him that he wouldn’t be able to tackle.”
“The pre-eminent travel law junior of his generation, unsurpassed in pure travel law, who expresses himself clearly, is very good with clients and can be trusted to get something right.”
Matthew was Conciliator for the Passenger Shipping Association Conciliation Scheme between 2005 and 2010.
Moncrieff & Moncrieff v Cosmosair Plc
Ambit of the regulation 15 cause of action in context of an unforeseen and...
Keppel-Palmer v Exsus Travel Limited & Royal Westmoreland Villas Limited
 All ER (D) 183
Large value quality complaint litigated in the High Court. Whether a package...
Latest Publications Read more
- 'Holiday Violence' The Limits of Tour Operator Liability (1 Chancery Lane)
- 'Safe Trip:' Liability and Legionnaires' Disease (New Law Journal)
- Midlands Circuit
- Conciliator for the Passenger Shipping Association Conciliation Scheme 2005-2010
- Travel & Tourism Lawyers’ Association (Chairman 2008-2013)
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- Professional Negligence Bar Association
- London Common and Commercial Bar Association
- Member Joint Academic Stage Board (Bar Standards Board nominee) 2002 to 2012
- British Spanish Law Association
- Registered Pupil-Supervisor